The urinary catheter change is done at the recommendation of your primary doctor. However, if you have symptoms suggestive of a urinary tract infection or catheter blockage, please contact your doctor for evaluation and recommendation, as you may need to change your urinary catheter.
Call the bladder catheter change service if:
- you have a temperature above 38 degrees Celsius,
- you have severe abdominal pain,
- your urine is red or you notice blood clots,
- you notice that there is less urine in the collection bag than usual or none at all,
- the urine has a different smell,
- the catheter comes out on its own, or you have leaking catheters.
If you need to change your urinary catheter, the doctor or a nurse under the guidance of a doctor will explain the procedure to you and then ask for your consent to perform it. In a room where your need for privacy is respected, the nurse will ask you to lie on your back. You will be covered with a sterile drape and your external genitals will be disinfected using Betadine. After lubrication of the urethra you will start inserting the urinary catheter up to the bladder, followed by connecting the collection bag. The urinary catheter and collection bag wil be fixed to the body.
The price of urinary catheter change is 120 lei and the price of catheter removal is 60 lei.